Apply US Visa stamping interview in India
Next month I’m planning to travel to India from the USA. As of now, I don’t have a valid Visa stamped in my passport, so I applied H1B visa stamping interview for myself and H4 for my wife .
This process involves two steps
1. Fill DS160 for yourself (Principle H1B applicant) and fill another DS160 for your dependent.
2. Pay the money and schedule the interview.
1. Fill DS 160
1. I have gone to the following URL -> Selected my country (India) and Started An Application (DS160)
2. I have Filed a separate DS160 for my wife.
Note: I have saved the confirmation pages of DS160. The confirmation page has the Confirmation Number. The number is required to schedule the interviews.
2. Schedule the interview
1. I used the below URL, created login and filled the form with the two DS160 confirmation numbers.
2. I paid the payment for my wife and me through my NEFT account. I have used the following URL for reference
3. The next day I got the receipt number in the email from USCIS for the payment. I logged into the URL that I have mentioned in point 1 and scheduled my interview dates with the receipt number for stamping.
Other Useful Information
Below is the some useful information present in the visa interview confirmation page:
You have scheduled an appointment for a non-immigrant visa to the U.S. Most applicants will have an appointment at the Visa Application Center (VAC), followed by an appointment at the Embassy or Consulate.Please carefully review the important information below. Coming prepared will ensure you the best service possible.
What documents do I need to bring?
Appointment confirmation letter
Your current passport and most recently expired passport
Print out of the DS-160 confirmation page
Supporting documents for your application, as applicable
Documents and photographs for any children under age 14
Who should come to the appointment?
Only visa applicants may attend the appointment. Friends, relatives, attorneys, business contacts and other
individuals without an appointment may not enter the building, except:
-Applicants under age 18 may be accompanied by a parent or guardian if desired.
-Applicants with disabilities may be accompanied by a caretaker, helper, or interpreter.
Should my children come?
Children under the age of 14 do not need to appear in person to apply for a visa. If you are also applying for a
visa, you may carry your child’s application documents with you, along with one photograph of the child on
white background (2 x 2 inches or 51 x 51 mm) in size. Further photo specifications are available:
When should I arrive?
You should arrive no more than 15 minutes prior to your appointment time.
What items can I bring?
You should bring only the required documents in an unsealed transparent plastic bag or folder. Mobile phones and most purses/bags are not permitted. We do not provide a facility for storage of any items. The following items are prohibited:
- Battery-operated or electronic devices such as mobile phones, digital diaries, pagers, cameras, audio/video cassettes, compact discs, MP3s, floppy disks, flash drives, memory sticks, Blue Tooth devices, laptop or tablet computers and portable music players
- Large shoulder bags/purses, travel bags, backpacks, briefcases or suitcases. Only bags that can be carried by hand will be permitted like unsealed plastic bags containing application-related papers , small cloth bags, and zip folders
- Food or drink items
- Cosmetics (including, but not limited to, spray perfume/cologne and talcum/baby powder)
- Sealed envelopes or packages
- Flammable items such as Cigarettes, cigars, match boxes, lighters
- Sharp objects, including scissors, pocketknives , pen knives or nail files
- Weapons, weapon-like objects, or explosive material of any kind
- Long Handled Umbrella’s (longer than 40 cm when closed)
Note: This list of prohibited items is not exhaustive. Other items may be prohibited at the discretion of security staff. All visitors will be screened with handheld or walk-through metal detectors. These are safe for all individuals, including pregnant women and those with cardiac pacemakers.
How will I collect my visa once it is issued?
Your appointment letter lists the pick-up location you chose when making the appointment. If your visa is approved, you will receive an SMS and email when the passport is ready to be collected. To collect your passport, you must bring an original government-issued photo ID and a photocopy of the ID. Information on how to change your pick-up location or authorize someone else to collect your passport is available at:
Note: You may receive notifications or contacted by email at your registered email id on your profile before and after your visa seeking process.
The views expressed on this blog are my personal views and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.
Please feeling free to reach me on any comments and feedbacks you have. Would be more than glad to listen and reply 🙂