What is a Primavera P6 Project Code?
Project Code is a hierarchical element; A Project code must have one code Name and one or more code values. The purpose of the P6 Project Code is to distinguish the projects.
For example, An organization like L&T can have many projects around the world. In this case, I want to identify total budget allocated to the projects running in each country. To get this, I need to group the projects by country wise and read the cost information in EPS summaries.
In another use case, I want to identify total budget allocated to HYDRO & THERMAL projects running in each country. The use cases might differ project to project. The question is how to achieve this in Primavera P6 EPPM?
In the above two situations, P6 needs COUNTRY_LOCATION field contains a list of countries and PROJECT_TYPE, and PROJECT_TYPE field contains HYDRO & THERMAL values. Now we can associate a location and project_type to a project
The Out of box fields comes with P6 does not have any of the custom values. P6 provides a feature ‘Project Codes’ to solve this feature. If your application has LIST OF PRE_DEFINED VALUES available (Ex: Country: Country names) then create it in Project codes and associate it with the project. The project codes are suitable only for you have pre-defined values available. If don’t have one then consider Project UDF.
Using Project Code:
- Group the project by P6 Project code
- Filter the project by Project code
- Identify the project field values that not come with Out Of box
- Create a Portfolio by filter by Project code values
- Filter the dashboard by project code value
- Run a custom report by project code values
- Much more……
Below is the how Primavera P6 Project code & values look like:
The root level is Project Code Name and all its children are project code values.
Project Code: Location
Project Code: PROJECT TYPE
What Security access do I need to create a Project Code
- The P6 user ‘Global Security profile‘ must have Add Project Codes, Edit Project Codes, & Delete Project codes access to add edit and delete project codes.
The user should have the Global Security Profile <ADMIN Superuser>. The default user ‘admin’ has this access, he is an admin to P6.
How to create a Project Code in Primavera P6
1. Login into P6 as Admin Superuser (admin) or the user has the ‘Add Project Codes‘ access. the default URL is http://HOST:PORT/p6
2. Go to Administrator >> Enterprise Data
3. Click on the Project Codes and Select Add Code under the drop down Add
4. Give a Code Name and Maximum length to 32. The maximum length of Project code name is 32 characters. The Project Code Name must be UNIQUE
5. Right click on the CODE NAME & select Add code value to add a child
How to add a Project code values the order I prefer
6. Make sure the arrow mark as shown below should not display on any of the columns before adding Project code values. If it appears just triple click on that column to make disappear.
To know about Secure code, Click on P6 Secure Code
7. Right click on the GEAR ICON and select Move UP or Move Down. If you note the below image, the arrow mark at the NAME field is disappeared.
Note: On 16.1 version and below, Use the UP and DOWN arrow in the toolbar window.
How to assign a project code value to a project
1. Go to the EPS page, Select the Customize View
2. Click on the Columns and Expand the Project Code. Move the desired project codes from left to right & Save it.
3. Double click on the project code to select a code value
5. The final result would be like below
How to group a Project by Project Code
1. Click on the Customize View button again, select the Grouping tab and choose the project code in Group By drop down
2. The project is grouped by Group wise. That’s it. Now you can explore the Project code usability in the P6 tool
If you have any question regarding P6, please leave a comment below.
The views expressed on this blog are my personal views and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.
Please feeling free to reach me on any comments and feedbacks you have. Would be more than glad to listen and reply 🙂
Latest posts by Govind
- P6 Progress Reporter completely integrated into P6 Team Member - August 15, 2017
- Primavera P6 Professional for EPPM Popup 16.2 : The appropriate industry for your organization has not yet been select in admin preferences - August 15, 2017
- Primavera P6 Background Job Error:Creating job Symon Failed to add Database Job, Check the settings table for valid interval values for dbms_scheduler - August 14, 2017