What if Analysis in Primavera P6 Professional
Primavera P6 Professional has a built in feature called P6 Reflection. It is a name given by Primavera P6 to do What If analysis to a Project. P6 Reflection allows a user to create changes or explore alternate scenarios to a project without affecting the original schedule. Below are some examples of scenarios to a project:
1. Add/Delete activities to the existing project and check the schedule network
2. Assign/Delete resources
3. Alter the critical path
Ok, Once user did the scenarios to a project, what Next. He/She has two options
1. Merge the changes back to the original project either complete or selective
2. Discard the changes
How to do What If analysis / P6 Reflection
1. Create a Reflection from Original Project
2. Change the Reflection Project
3. Merge the Reflection back to the Original Project
An advantage is you can create multiple reflection. 🙂 Follow the pre-requisites before start the what if
1. You should need Project super user privilege to Original & Reflection Project ( when merge back)
2. The Original Project had not been checked out or opened in exclusive mode by another user
3. Access to create project within the EPS
Primavera P6 Professional What If Analysis:
1. Log in to P6 Professional as project super user. I used admin
2. Go to Project tab. Select the project you want to do what if analysis. I have created a project with two activities as shown below
P6 Project Tab:
P6 Activity Tab:
3. On the Project tab, Right-click on the project and select ‘Create Reflection‘
4. A what-If Project gets created within the same EPS.
The What-If project has the Project Name appends with ‘Reflection’, Project Id appends with incremented of 1, Project Status to What-If and a Question Mark appears on the Project ID that tells this project is in What-IF mode
Note: Don’t change the Project Status from What-If to other.
5. Open the What-If Project and modify the schedule.
- I added two new activities
- Changed the Original Duration in an existing activity
6. Go back to the Project tab, Right click on the What-If Project and Select ‘Merge Reflection into Source Project‘
7. This screen displays the Modified changes in the Reflection project. Select the check boxes that you want to merge back to the Original Project and Click the button Merge Changes.
Group Changes By = Display the changes according to the selection
Create a copy of the source project as a baseline = Create a baseline in the original project before merging the reflection
Create a backup file of source project = Back up the Original project in an XER file before merging the reflection
Keep Reflection = Keep the reflection project after the reflection is merged
Delete Reflection = Delete the reflection project after the reflection is merged
Replace Reflection = Replace the Reflection with an updated reflection in the Original Project after the reflection is merge
8. The below message appears on successful
9. Open the Original Project. The changes are reflected in the Activities tab
The views expressed on this blog are my personal views and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.
Please feeling free to reach me on any comments and feedbacks you have. Would be more than glad to listen and reply 🙂