Primavera P6 Exclusive Mode vs. Shared Mode
Primavera P6 Web allows the user can open the project in two ways. They are
- Shared Mode
- Exclusive Mode
In P6 Shared Mode, Multiple users can open and edit the project at the same time. This is the default mode to open a project in P6.
In P6 Exclusive Mode, Only one user can edit a project at a time. That means the user who opened the project in exclusive mode has the Edit privilege access. Other users can view the project and not allowed to edit it includes scheduling.
How to Open a Project in Shared Mode in P6 Web
1. Login into P6 Web, go to the EPS tab, Right-click on a project and select Open Project
2. To close the Project:
- Right click on the project that you opened, Select Close (Or)
- Log out from P6
How to Open a Project in Exclusive Mode
1. Login into P6 Web, go to the EPS tab, Select the Project, Select the drop down Open and select Open Exclusively
Note: The user must have ‘Check In/Check Out Projects and Open Project Exclusively’ project privilege access to open a Project exclusively
2. A LOCK ICON appears on the project indicates the project is opened Exclusively. Closing the Exclusively opened project is same as shared.
For example, User A opened a project exclusively. Now no other users can edit the project through any of the following ways
1. P6 EPPM ( Web )
2. P6 Professional for EPPM ( Desktop Client )
3. P6 API ( Java Client )
4. P6 Web Service ( Soap Client )
Technical: How Primavera P6 handles the two modes at the back end
Let say; A user opens a project in whatever mode in P6 web. A record gets inserted into ADMUSER.PROJSHAR table. The column ACCESS_LEVEL tells on which mode the project is opened.
If the ACCESS_LEVEL=2 indicates the project is opened in Exclusive Mode
If the ACCESS_LEVEL=0 indicates the project is opened in shared mode
An example Screen that shows a project opened in P6 Exclusive Mode
That’s all about P6 Exclusive Mode and P6 Shared Mode. If you have any questions please share a comment below 🙂
The views expressed on this blog are my personal views and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.
Please feeling free to reach me on any comments and feedbacks you have. Would be more than glad to listen and reply 🙂
Latest posts by Govind (see all)
- Primavera Error: The database is not setup to use the authentication mode selected: WebSSO:LDAP - June 22, 2017
- Primavera P6 professional Login alert box:The database has not been configured to run background jobs. To correct this error contact your system administrator - June 22, 2017
- How to integrate Oracle BI Publisher and LDAP in WebLogic server - June 21, 2017