All you want to know about Primavera P6 – User Interface View
This section is for you if your answer is Yes in any of the following point
1. Lock some of the Activity fields, say you want to lock the cost fields to some users
2. Hide any of the P6 Project web tabs from the user like Issues, Activities, Resources, etc.
3. Hide any P6 Web menu items, For example, Open Project in Activities tab or User Access in Administration menu
4. Hide Classic or Standard View
5. Finally, customize the P6 EPPM view
Primavera P6 – User Interface View is a useful feature to customize the view of P6 Web. Primavera P6 is used by many roles, For example, Directors, Managers, Stakeholders, Engineers, team members, etc. Not everyone wants to see all the pages in Primavera P6. Some users use P6 often, and some don’t. For example, directors and stakeholders want to see programs and portfolios instead of activities, resources, etc. They may don’t care about other views, and it was sometimes confusing them navigate to all the pages.
We also may have the situation on P6 Field level editing; let says you want to lock all cost field for users so they can view it and not edit it. There is a limitation here, P6 User Interface view supports to lock only Activity fields
Using Primavera P6 User Interface view, We can simply create multiple views and assign it to the user, let say one for the director, one for the manager, etc. In this section, we are going through the following steps
- Create a Primavera P6 – User Interface View
- Assign the View to a User
- Test it
P6 user must require the Add/Edit/Delete User Interface Views access to create a view
Create a Primavera P6 – User Interface View
1. Login into P6 as user which has the above access >> Click Administrator >> Click User Interface Views
2. Click on the link Create User Interface View
3. Click on the New User Interface View & Click Ok
4. Input a View Name, select a start page, Its a landing page after login; I disabled User Access under Administrator & some pages in the Projects tab >> Click on the Activity Editing tab
5. you can lock the P6 activity fields in this tab; I disabled two date fields here for demo purpose >> Click on the Users tab
6. Move the user from left to right. Enable the Allow Editing makes the user can modify this user interface view; Click Save and Close
- You can assign this view in User Access by adding the column User Interface View
- The Module Access in user Access has high precedence over the user interface view.
7. I logged in as the user who has the above view assigned. As you see below, the page directly went into project tab with Classic view; Also if you notice, the Issues, Documents & Risks tabs are missing (Check screen 4 under projects menu) and the link User Access is missing under the Administrator link
8. As you notice below, P6 display a blocker icon when I try to edit Actual Start/Finish fields as per the Step 5
9. The user can edit the user interface view if he has permission (Step 6, Allow Editing)to customize further; Click on the Administrator >> My Preferences, Click on the View tab to customize further. That’s it 🙂
The views expressed on this blog are my personal views and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.
Please feeling free to reach me on any comments and feedbacks you have. Would be more than glad to listen and reply 🙂
Latest posts by Govind
- P6 Progress Reporter completely integrated into P6 Team Member - August 15, 2017
- Primavera P6 Professional for EPPM Popup 16.2 : The appropriate industry for your organization has not yet been select in admin preferences - August 15, 2017
- Primavera P6 Background Job Error:Creating job Symon Failed to add Database Job, Check the settings table for valid interval values for dbms_scheduler - August 14, 2017