About Primavera P6 Global Change with example
Global Change is a tool in P6 professional which can be useful to make changes to a value in Activity, Resource Assignment and Project Expense fields based on the condition we apply. The logic works like below
What is a Global Change is useful for?
Primavera P6 Global change can be useful in many situations. Here below are some of them which I used often:
- Copy values from one column to another column. For example, Copy the field ‘Activity Duration’ to a UDF field
- Calculate a field. For Example ‘Actual Start Date’ = ‘Early Start Date’ + 7 days
- Replace a code value with another code value
- Replace a ROLE with a resource in Resource assignment
Can I undo the Global Change?
NO. Primavera does not support undo a global change operation. Every change the Global changes apply to your project is permanent.
Hint: Always baseline or export your project before applying the global change so you can revert the project back.
Can I save the Global Change for future use?
Yes, we can save the Global change in the name we want and grant this saved Global change to other user or All users.
Does Global Change affect all the projects in Primavera P6?
No, it affects the project that is opened by you.
What permission do I require to run Global Change?
For example, if you are using P6 EPPM then the RUN GLOBAL CHANGE must be enabled under Tools in corresponding Project Security Profile ( shown below ). Also, you need edit access to the project to which you want to apply the Global change. Also, it should not open in exclusive mode by another user
The following option In Global Security Profile so that user can create, modify, and remove Global Change
Can I see the affected value before I apply the Global Change?
Yes, Global change will display the list of value that is going to affect which looks like below. Here we have the option to either commit changes or cancel changes
Can I automate the Global Change?
No, we cannot. Global change must be applied manually.
Global Change – Example
Here we are going to create & apply a Global Change called COPY COLUMN which just copy a value from an Activity field ‘Activity ID’ to another field ‘Activity Name’
1. Log in to P6 Professional, Select Tools >> Select Global Change
2. Click on the New button
3. Here, I applied the following rule & Click Ok
Loop all Activities:
If (Activity ID = A1000)
Activity Name = ( Activity ID )
Activity Name = 'Govindan'
4. Select the created Global Change and Click Apply Change
5. It will display a list of values that are going to affect. As I opened two projects already and both have Activity ID A1000. It Displays the old value and new value according to the rule. Click Commit Changes
Activities Before applying Global Change: Note the Activity names
Activities after applying Global Change: Note the activity names changed from the previous image due to the global change
The views expressed on this blog are my personal views and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.
Please feeling free to reach me on any comments and feedbacks you have. Would be more than glad to listen and reply 🙂
Latest posts by Govind
- Is it possible to logout Primavera P6 through SQL Query? - February 16, 2018
- How to Create Primavera P6 EPPM Database schemas in Microsoft SQL Server - February 15, 2018
- Configure Windows Firewall for Microsoft SQL Server 2017 – Part 4 - February 14, 2018