How to Schedule BI Publisher report
Some repots takes more time to fetch data, some take more time for render & some has both. The reports which take more time to deliver must be scheduled.For example, the default session time out of BI Publisher is 16 minutes, and a report needs more than 16 minutes. When running this report and BI Publisher is IDLE for more than 16 minutes the report that ran would be discarded.
Also, some time the Ad-Hoc report also needs to be scheduled based on the requirement. A company may ask the BI Developer for performance report every week. Instead of running the report every week manually, we can schedule it on every week.
Scheduling a report is simply run a report at a specified time. The time may be now, a specific date and time, run every night, etc. BI Publisher used QUARTZ for scheduling a report. The scheduler asks for a delivery method to deliver the report. It may be Email, FTP, Fax, Printer etc.
If your BI Publisher is running in a clustered environment, then BI Scheduler needs a Shared folder. Look at the pre-requisite for the instruction to configure and diagnose BI Publisher Scheduler. This section, we walk through how to schedule BI Publisher report.
One of my previous post I have explained how to create a report in BI Publisher. I am going to use that report for scheduling.
Configure atlease one delivery method in BI Publisher:
Schedule a BI Publisher Report
1. Login into BI Publisher. The URL is http://HOST:PORT/xmlpserver
2. Click New and select Report Job
3. Using the search icon to select a report you want to schedule
4. Click on the output tab and select a delivery method. I chose FTP as my delivery method. The scheduler places the report in the FTP Server after it ran successfully. Make sure to configure all the parameters correctly. Select the correct timezone
5. Click on the Schedule button to specify the time or trigger
Define Schedule Time: Set an interval or time or run now
Define Scheduler Trigger: The report runs on a specific event. At least one event trigger must be specified in the Data Model to select this option
6. Click om the notification tab for the email notification of the report. You must configure BI Publisher Email Delivery option to see this tab
7. Click on the Diagnostic and toggle on both the check boxes for troubleshoot the BI report in case your report failed
8. Click on the Submit button to submit the report
9. Give a name to see the status of the report & Click Ok
10. Click Ok on the alert box
10. To see the status of the scheduled BI Publisher report, Click on the Home and select Report Job History
11. The Report is successful because I selected RUN NOW in STEP 5 so It ran immediately. The report will be saved in the FTP Server. Now click on the report job to see the logs
13. Download and analyze the logs if your report is failed.
The views expressed on this blog are my personal views and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.
Please feeling free to reach me on any comments and feedbacks you have. Would be more than glad to listen and reply 🙂
Latest posts by Govind
- Is it possible to logout Primavera P6 through SQL Query? - February 16, 2018
- How to Create Primavera P6 EPPM Database schemas in Microsoft SQL Server - February 15, 2018
- Configure Windows Firewall for Microsoft SQL Server 2017 – Part 4 - February 14, 2018