Create a BI Publisher Report using RTF template (Template Builder)
In my last post, I have explained how to create a data model and a report inside the Oracle BI Publisher. BI also provides a way to create a report in Word document. Most of us know have MS Word installed and how to use it., so creating a report in Word is much easier and also we can add word capabilities as well while creating a report.
A question usually arises how my MS word will connect to the BI Publisher to retrieve data from the data model to generate a report. BI Publisher provides a plugin called Template builder which is a Window executable. I have explained in my other post about how to download and install the BI Publisher plugin for word.
Once we installed the BI Publisher for Word plugin, we can start creating a report in the word document. Remember we are creating a report & not the data model. A sample XML data is required to generate a report. The sample XML data can be extracted from the data model that I explained here. In this section, I have explained how to create a BI Publisher Report using RTF template. Let’s begin .
1. Create a Data Model in BI Publisher (Follow Steps 1 to 7)
2. Edit the Data Model, click on the Data Sets, select tab Data and click Export to download the Sample XML data
3. Below is the Sample.XML data contains. We use this Sample XML file to design a report
5. Once installed, Open the word document, Click on the BI Publisher tab Click on the Sample XML icon and load the Sample XML file saved in Step 2
6. The below pop-up will opens on the screen
7. Let’s create a table from the data model. Click on the Table wizard and click Table on the pop-up
8. Select the Data Set. This comes from the XML file. Look at the XML file in Step 3 for detail
9. The XML file has only one element, that is COUNTY_NAME. Move it to the right side as shown below and click Next
10. We are not doing grouping. Click Next
11. Select SORY BY COUNTRY_NAME and click Finish
12. Time to save the Word file as RTF format. In the word document, Click File, Select Save as and save the file as RTF as shown below. Make sure the Save as Type as Rich Text Format and the file name extension is RTF
13. Login into BI Publisher, Select Report under New
14. Click cancel in the pop-up
15. Choose the data model where the SAMPLE.XML file was generated, Click on the Upload button, choose the RTF file we saved above and input Layout Name, Type and Locale. Click Upload
16. Hit the icon Save to save the report
17, Input a report name and hit save
18. Go to the catalog, Open the saved report
19. Bu default, it will open in PDF format. Choose the format you want to open the report
The views expressed on this blog are my personal views and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.
Please feeling free to reach me on any comments and feedbacks you have. Would be more than glad to listen and reply 🙂
Latest posts by Govind
- P6 Progress Reporter completely integrated into P6 Team Member - August 15, 2017
- Primavera P6 Professional for EPPM Popup 16.2 : The appropriate industry for your organization has not yet been select in admin preferences - August 15, 2017
- Primavera P6 Background Job Error:Creating job Symon Failed to add Database Job, Check the settings table for valid interval values for dbms_scheduler - August 14, 2017